Angela L. Cooner
I was born in Oklahoma City and lived in Oklahoma my entire childhood. I love the outdoors -- camping, fishing, hiking. In my opinion, the outdoors is even better when you add a good hearty thunderstorm to the mix. After practicing law in Minnesota for four years, I moved to Arizona and now call Tempe my home. I thoroughly enjoy my family time. When I am not playing with my two sons or watching them compete in various little league sports, I enjoy my co-ed softball team, practicing hot yoga, cooking, and reading.
Areas of Practice
Insurance defense, (including construction defect, premises liability, vehicle accident, HOA/Condo defense, §1983 actions, municipal liability, and declaratory actions), as well as, real property law, community association law, appellate law, dispute resolution, legislative advocacy, child protection, termination of parental rights, and mental health commitments.
Multiple trials relating to insurance defense, class actions, real estate, mental health commitments, termination of parental rights, and family law; contested matters before the Arizona Registrar of Contractors and other administrative courts; authored and argued several appeals; and numerous alternative dispute resolution procedures including mediation and arbitration in construction matters and insurance matters.
Memberships & Associations
- Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Pro Tem
- Arizona State Bar Association
- Past President of Community Association Institute
- Arizona Chapter (CAI-AZ); Co-Chair of Legislative Action Committee for CAI-AZ (CAI-AZ LAC)
Licenses & Admissions
- State of Minnesota, 2001-2005
- State of Arizona, 2005-present
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota and Arizona.
- Trained and certified E-Discovery Professional
- Certified Minnesota Rule 114 Qualified Neutral in Mediation, Arbitration and all other ADR settings
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, MN — 2001
- University of Texas, Austin, B.A. Psychology — 1998
Awards & Recognition
- CAI-AZ LAC was awarded Legislative Action Committee of the Year — 2014
- Champion of Integrity Award – CAI-AZ — 2011
- Member of Merit for Tireless Volunteer Efforts – CAI-AZ–2010
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Minnesota Law & Politics, Super Lawyers and received numerous — 2001
Educational seminars all over the Valley on a variety of legal topics including:
Electronic Record Keeping in the Digital Age
E-Discovery – Pitfalls of Improper Litigation Holds
The ABC’s of CC&R Enforcement
Managing Developer Transition to Avoid Construction Defect Litigation.